Main
Homes
Events
Tickets
Lodging
Dining
Sponsors

Homes on 2022 tour!



THE MAGNOLIAS - C. 1850
732 West Commerce Street
Owned by City of Aberdeen

Fri., Apr. 1 - 10:00 a.m. 12 Noon
Fri., Apr. 1 - 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
The Magnolias serves the same purpose in 2018 that a former owner, Clarence C. Day, II, once had- to serve as a host site for social gatherings. Dr. William Alfred Sykes and part of his family migrated from Decatur, Ala. to a site just west of Aberdeen to build large plantations. Aberdeen, at the time, was a growing center for trade and an equally popular place for society. The Sykes family meshed with the social scene and soon built large homes in town. Sykes built The Magnolias from local materials for his nine children and wife, Rebecca. Rebecca died just a year after it was finished. However, stories and unexplained noises and sights suggest that she continues to be present at the home. The Magnolias passed through the Sykes family until the death of Corrine Sykes Walker Acker, the great-grand-daughter of Dr. William A. Sykes. Following Acker's death, Day purchased the house. Day furnished The Magnolias to the style of the 1850s with portraits of his parents, Clarence Day, Sr. and Christine Rogers Day, hanging in the home today. He later deeded the home to the City of Aberdeen and a group of volunteers called the Day Commission oversees the Greek revival home's operations. Seedlings from the Magnolia trees that adorn the grounds of the house were planted to grow into the green median of Commerce St. The Magnolias is open year round from 1-4pm Wednesday-Friday or by appointment. A hostess can be reached at 369-7956 for tours and to arrange weddings and other events.





SUNSET MANOR - 1852
205 South Thayer Ave.
Home of Mr. Randy Emerson

Fri., Apr. 1 - 10:00 a.m. 12 Noon
Fri., Apr. 1 - 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Built in the late 1840’s, the brick part being built in 1838. The brick part is believed to be the oldest building in Monroe County and was at one time the kitchen and family/dining room. The home was owned by Mr. Thayer from 1852 until it sold to the Howell family in the early 1900’s and remained in the family until it was purchased by Mr. Randy Emerson from Hamilton, Alabama in 2018 and has gone through a complete restoration. A true historic treasure.




WATKIN'S HILL - 1897
205 South Franklin St.
Home of Mike and Em Walters

Sat., Apr. 1 - 10:00 a.m. - 12 Noon
Sat., Apr. 1 - 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

The Watkins home is located on Aberdeen's Victorian gateway, “Silk Stocking Row.” Built by Dr. Robert Wendall in 1897 in the Queen Anne style. The Watkins family were large plantation owners in the Aberdeen area prior to the Civil War. An earlier house stood on the property from the 1870’s.In 1920, W.B Watkins purchased the house and began extensive remodeling. The original Victorian features were meshed into a more spacious Prairie style to accommodate the large Watkins family and several rooms were added. The architectural design was changed from Victorian to American Foursquare, which was popular in the Post-Victorian era. This included a spacious attic under the hipped roof and the basement. Its current owners purchased the home in 2018 and are doing extensive renovations to the home. It is a work in progress.






SANDERS PLACE
304 W. College St.
Home of Suni & Ben Bender

Sat., Apr. 2 - 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Built in 1898 by former Monroe County Chancery Clerk Houston Gillylen. Sanders Place is an example of Queen Anne style architecture. The house was purchased by Aberdeen businessman, Turner Sanders years later. It is a frame house that features roofing commonly associated with the period. Detail moldings are prominent on the eaves of the wraparound veranda supported by pairs of classical colonettes. The house has mostly remained the same for more than a century inside and out. The interior of the house boasts bright colors in comfortable rooms with a Queen Anne floor plan. The woodwork, moldings and early wallpapers remain in pristine condition. A second floor gallery follows the veranda, building up to a tower with a steeple roof. The house is displayed on a poster in Aberdeen, Scotland, which depicts the Aberdeens found throughout the world.





James Creek Chapel and English Gardens at Adams French
Tour the Chapel, while enjoying the sounds of old gospel hymns on the piano, while you tour this Historic African-American chapel. Now fully restored and stands on the grounds of Adams-French House. Be sure to stroll the English Gardens of Adams French, located just behind the mansion.

Fri., Apr. 1 - 10:00 a.m. 12 Noon
Fri., Apr. 1 - 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.

Sat., Apr. 2 - 10:00 a.m. 12 Noon
Sat., Apr. 2 - 1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.






Aberdeen Depot
Aberdeen Depot is home to Aberdeen Main Street Association. This fully restored KCS depot, is home to a collection of Aberdeen memorabilia including high school composites, vintage signage, railroad treasures and more. Eric Jonas, local railroad enthusiast, will share the history or the railroad in Aberdeen.

Fri., Apr. 1 - 10:00 a.m. 12 Noon
Fri., Apr. 1 - 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Sat., Apr. 2 - 10:00 a.m. 12 Noon
Sat., Apr. 2 - 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.




Return to home page.


   
 
© 2003-2022 Aberdeen Pilgrimage Association, Inc.  All rights reserved.